Sew 2012 #010: BatFace is Back Dress

I am making the time to sew. I have to, for my own sanity. It’s only logical. Of course that doesn’t help as much as I’d like it to when things go a bit awry. But I remind myself: this is a learning process. Not everything is going to look fantastic.

Enter BatFace. No one knows who BatFace is. But BatFace certainly comes in handy when it comes time to take a photo in a contraption that isn’t exactly flattering in some other-worldly opinion. See case in point on New Year’s Eve.

A few names drifted around in my mind while making this dress. If you recognise it, it’s actually another attempt at Sew 2012 #004: Madly Happy Sunny Dress with the pattern alterations I wanted to make. Office Garden Flower Dress was one that was particularly cheesy. All in all I think the BatFace is Back Dress is fairly successful considering that my alterations were more or less spot on and I learned some new things.

What new things? Check this out:

This is my first lined dress! It was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. That’s not to say I did it right though. Haha!

I also drafted a belt to add to the waist seam, which I’m pretty proud of:

So what wasn’t right? The mad method I used. As I focused on making the belt, I made the whole outer dress except the centre back seam and hem. Then I made the lining, again leaving the centre back seam and hem. Then when I tried to combine two I realised my mistake: If I sewed the armholes I would have no way of turning the dress to the right side! Oh well. This is a test dress anyway. The fabric was from that massive op-shop haul a few months ago. Carry on!

What to do about those armholes? Well, I figured the only thing to do was to finish sewing the centre back seam and hem, then turn the dress to the right way. Then I folded the raw edges of each armhole fabric and lining inwards and hand-basted them closed. After that, I top-stitched the two folded edges together. The end result isn’t too bad but it’s not what I’d call an ideal way to sew in armholes. I also top stitched the neckline to match, even though it didn’t need top stitching. But it just looks like it’s supposed to be there :)

I have always loved a dress with fun lining. So it was a great chance to use some lining off-cuts from the bargain bin to mix and match while learning. I had some green lining in my stash as well as the black, so I used the green for the skirt section of the dress to add a bit of fun when walking (and hence the garden-oriented cheese name)!

Overall, this was a great learning dress. But sadly this muslin won’t get much wear – It’s a tad too small to be really comfortable! Not to mention as soon as I bent to get into the car I heard a rip – and that was the end of my skirt lining. Still, you can’t see the torn lining and it’s still wearable, but it’s not mend-able and it’s not nice wearing a dress knowing it has torn lining.

I’m loving this sewing roll I’m on! I’ve already started attempt #3 of this pattern, so I’m interested to see what goes on there. I don’t have high hopes, but I would like to sew the armhole lining right this time.

Stay inspired!
:D

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s