Red wasn’t the colour for me at the Important Event, so after making my first stole from Weekend Designer I set about modifying it to be more elegant and in a colour to better suit my dress, which I’d established was going to be navy blue matte satin.
One thing I’d noticed between the pattern directions and the photograph on the Weekend Designer page was the photograph had a more elongated shape. I set about re-drawing my pattern to mimic a nicely tapered oblong and the above was the result.
I still had a problem with my dress – the one I bought was a size or two too big which I knew I could modify. But being time-poor busy me, I didn’t get up to that and then ran out of time to take to a dressmaker to get it professionally done. I was able to temporarily fix the side seams and hemline without much bother, but the bust as always caused problems.
I found the only way I could do it with out buggering up the whole dress was to safety-pin a bust dart in the neckline and cover it with me-made pretty matching flower!
The flower was a lot of fun to make, I’ve been saving all my scraps since so I can make more.
Of course, with a stole like this it’s hard to get the picture without actually having it on: fortunately I’ve taken such a long time trying to take my own that the official wedding snaps have been processed. 😀
Now it is folded away in storage until I should need a lovely cream stole again. Thanks to Missy, it now has a few thread snags from when it was hanging in the lounge room after we returned home and she decided to try climbing it.
Joke’s on her, it fell on the floor so now she believes hanging fabric is not stable for climbing. WIN!